The Tamil Department was formed in the year 2001, when the school started functioning at its new ground. The department started with just 21 Tamil pupils in Primary 1 and 1 Tamil teacher. Over the past years we have recruited more Tamil pupils. Now we have 129 Tamil pupils and 3 Tamil teachers in HGP.
Objectives of the department
-To achieve 100% passes for all levels.
-To imbibe in the pupils the culture and the tradition through various programmes conducted in and out of the school environment.
-To encourage pupils to speak in Tamil and to cultivate a good reading habit through various reading programmes.
-To create an environment that will be very conducive for learning and teaching.
Our Key Programmes & Projects
1. To achieve quality results, weekly remedial classes are conducted according to the pupils
needs. P5/P6 pupils assist us with our weekly buddy reading programme.
2. IT lessons are conducted fortnightly to introduce Tamil typing to the pupils.
3. Tamil Literary competitions are held annually for all levels during the MT fortnight
4. Language competitions are organised by cluster for all P1-6 pupils.
5. Book fairs and library activities are held periodically to cultivate good reading habit.
6. Deepavali celebrations and exhibitions are organised yearly.
Achievements at Cluster and National Competitions
National Tamil Debate 2019 - Champions
National Drama Competition 2017- 2nd runner up
National Tamil Debate 2017 - Quarter Finalists
International Tamil Debate 2016 – Finalist
International Tamil Debate 2015 – Finalist
National Tamil Debate 2015 - Quarter Finalists
N3 Cluster Champions – 2014, 2015 & 2016
NIE Drama Competition 2013 – 2nd
Raffles Drama Competition 2012- 1st
National Tamil Debate 2011 - Semi Finalists
National Tamil Debate 2009 - Semi Finalists
National Oratorical Competition 2004/2005- 2nd Place
Rangoli Competition 2004 - Third
National Tamil Drama 2003 - Champion
Our students clinched top honours for the
school as they were awarded the champion trophy in the National Tamil Debate Comp